Saturday, July 09, 2005

Apparently, manhattan has art

I'm in Manhattan for 3 days and it is just one gallery opening after the
next.

The trouble is that I kinda dislike most of it and I'm not sure how to
react. There's the occasional snippet that will attract my interest, but
a lot of the stuff just doesn't grab me. It isn't interesting. I'll rip
through most places in the first five minutes looking for something I
like.

Now I don't know why people get all bothered by not liking all art.
Especially in this town. You just have to look around at the diversity of
cultures to realise that not everything is going to be to everyones
taste.

So why should art be any different.

My theory is that its just a plan to distract the art critics and keep
the safely off the streets. If we were all just ok with our opinions they
might have to get real jobs with the rest of us.

Instead they are banging away telling us what to think and I'm trying to
make sense of an exhibition of works by people who are famous, but not
for their art. And it mostly shows.

I'm still not sure what to make from the placing of a photo by rudy
guiliani next to a painting by congo the chimp. But I know I should be
concerned by stars whose only contribution is a self portrait.

Sometime later, fueled with alcohol, I pour myself into a cab and head
back to my hotel which is an artform all to its own. Like most hotels
you'll either love it or hate it. I think mine is working on the niche
"18 to 30 all style, no substance" market. But, despite the
velvet rope and bouncers at the bar, I'm a guest here and I know where
the pool table is hidden.

Maybe I can find an art critic who wants to play a few games.