Monday, May 30, 2005

No, I don't care who shot the Sheriff.

For the record: I am sick of reggae music.

(and Eric Clapton for that matter) It all sounds the same to me. And I'm
not just being a music snob here, it really does sound the same. I know
this because the the guy who is renting me my deckchair has been playing
the same damn song on repeat all day. The one CD, the one long song, the
repeat button.

And this is not an isolated case, every beach bar has their one CD, and
they keep them all on repeat. It is worse than Christmas shopping. If I
hear one more person waxing lyrical about "his brothers" I'm going to have
to kill someone. What I don't know is if this is revenge on the tourists, or
just a scam the get people like me to give them money to turn the music
off. ( I considered this option more than once ). I figure it can't be a
revenge plan because the locals have to endure it as much as we do. Or at
least I hope that's the case.

Then again, it could just be the whole "Things aren't quite right
here, but that's the way we like it" setup they have going on.

Renting a car is, for example, an experience. The car I have must be very
old. I say this because it has 30,000 miles on it and in the last 2 days
I've added about 10 miles to the clock and won't need to refill the gas
tank when i return it. When i was collecting the car the guy had only 1
word of advice 'use first gear'. He was right. If you just leave the
thing in 1st all the time you get the joy of Caribbean cruise control.
It's like being at Disneyland, you just turn the engine on, get in and
steer.

But after two days of driving around in the heat I'd decided that I had
enough of avoiding dogs, chickens, goats, garbage and young children and
needed to get back to the beach for some serious drinking. I also was a
bit worried by the fact the local boat rental guy had five boats in the
water but at least ten rotting away up on blocks in a back street.

Either way it is probably a gentle reminder that you don't want to stray
too far from the beach, you might see the ugly underside of your tourist
bliss.

Besides it is still too hot to do anything useful. A few bars down I
can get "Mikes Hard Lemonade" for $1.

A bottle of water will cost me $1.50.