Monday, May 23, 2005

"Is it hot, or is it Just me ?"

Jost Van Dyke, The British Virgin Islands.

Should you ever end up here, as I have, you only really need to remember
one thing - what you want for dinner.

You see, you not only have to make all evening reservations before 4pm but
you also have to select what you want from the menu as well. Given that I
was on an island with a population of about 200 and there is little to do
here but sleep, swim, drink and eat, this initially struck me as far too
stressful a decision to make so early in the day.

But it didn't take long to realise that this is not weird behavior by the
locals but a clever design driven by selfish laziness. If no-one makes a
reservation, the restaurant doesn't open and the local can all go do
something else. It actually makes a lot of sense. I'd rather know that I
have a free evening earlier in the day, then finding out half way into the
night.

As to the problem of choosing from the menu, well you'll just have to
trust me when I say that any combination of BBQ chicken, Ribs, fish or
lobster is going to be ideal. And make sure that you get lots of BBQ
Corn.

So, plan your meals. Oh, and get bug spray. The really good stuff, make
sure it has lots of DEET. The insects here show no mercy. Not only are
the flies and mosquitos a force to be reckoned with, but there are these
insatiable sand fleas that, unfortunately, make it almost impossible to
sit on the sand after dark.

So don't say I didn't warn you. Oh, and did I mention the heat ? Or the
humidity ? It is really, really hot here. I'm not sure how hot because
no-one had a thermometer, so I never sound out (I think this was
deliberate to avoid putting the tourists in shock). But it is really hot.
The only way to deal with it is to go as deep into the water as possible
and just stand there with a cold drink.

So, yes. I'm stuck on an island wasting away my time with nothing to do
but drink rum, read a book and go for the occasional long swim.

I couldn't be happier.